31 January 2007

RIP Molly Ivins

I learned a few days ago that columnist Molly Ivins was hospitalized in a battle with cancer. Unfortunately, the news tonight is that she has lost that battle.

As an op-ed columnist myself, I've been influenced by many: Maureen Dowd, Bob Herbert, Mark Morford. But most of all, I've been challenged and inspired by the work of Molly Ivins. I learned so much from each of her columns, always knowing that, no matter how much I grew as a writer, I could never come close to Molly's wit, insight, and style. No one could.

In a column last August, right-wing pundit Ann Coulter offered the following Q&A:
Q: How would your career be different if you looked like Molly Ivins?

A: I'd be a lot uglier.
No, Ann. Molly was a far more beautiful person in every way that matters.

Rest in peace, Molly. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment