13 August 2007

Richardson blows it on gay question (no pun intended)

I was a big fan of New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson. I thought he'd make a fine president, or at least a good vice president. He's got a good background in international relations, energy-related issues, and executive leadership -- all important these days.

But he knocked the pedestal out from under himself last week during a Democratic candidates' forum on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) issues.

Here is an excerpt:

-----
MELISSA ETHERIDGE: Do you think homosexuality is a choice, or is it biological?

GOV. RICHARDSON: It's a choice. It's --

MS. ETHERIDGE: I don't know if you understand the question. (Soft laughter.) Do you think I -- a homosexual is born that way, or do you think that around seventh grade we go, "Ooh, I want to be gay"?

GOV. RICHARDSON: Well, I -- I'm not a scientist. It's -- you know, I don't see this as an issue of science or definition. I see gays and lesbians as people as a matter of human decency. I see it as a matter of love and companionship and people loving each other. You know I don't like to categorize people. I don't like to, like, answer definitions like that that, you know, perhaps are grounded in science or something else that I don't understand.
-----

A choice? With all the persecution that gays face in our society, why the hell would anyone choose too be gay?

On the flip side of the coin, when and how did Gov. Richardson make the choice to be a heterosexual?

I can only shake my head and sigh.

>> Read more about the forum and Richardson's subsequent attempts at damage control.

>> Download some video excerpts from the forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment