05 June 2008

Remembering Bobby Kennedy

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. He was shot in the early morning hours of June 5, 1968, and died on June 6.

I was just a kid at the time, but I remember feeling an overwhelming sense of tragedy, sadness, and loss. I could tell that a very special person had been taken from us.

As I got older, I learned more about Bobby Kennedy and all that he stood for -- peace, racial equality, human rights, and helping the poor.

Today, on this sad anniversary, I think of how much better the world might be today if Bobby Kennedy had been allowed to live a long, full life.

Words cannot describe all the good that this man represented, so I will not try further right now. Instead, I will point you to a very moving eulogy delivered by his brother, Senator Edward Kennedy, on June 8, 1968, at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York:

>> Read, watch, or listen to the eulogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment