23 June 2009

Sotomayor and a ridiculous double standard

Yesterday I heard the most absurd reason for opposing Judge Sonia Sotomayor's nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court.

A young man of about 30 was telling his buddy why he doesn't like Sotomayor.

"She's fat," he explained. "She's not at all hot," he continued.

Needless to say, this got my blood boiling.

Since when is the judicial nomination process supposed to be a beauty pageant?!

Is Justice Scalia hot? I don't think so. But then he is a man, so there is apparently a double standard at play.

Women have come a long way since the days of the suffragettes. But we still have a long way to go, apparently, before these people will appreciate us for who we are on the inside.

Meanwhile, I will state unequivocally that Sotomayor's intellect and empathy make her a very hot candidate in my opinion.

And those qualities make her a much more attractive person than her 30-year-old detractor.

No comments:

Post a Comment