09 July 2009

Suicide by governor

You may have heard of "suicide by cop". Well now, here in Pennsylvania, it appears we have a case of "suicide by governor".

William Wright has been on death row for almost 10 years. He claims he is innocent, but he's sick of death row. And since he won't get out alive, he wants to get it over with.

Wright sent a letter to Governor Ed Rendell asking that his execution date be moved up.

Governor Rendell complied.

So, sadly, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has scheduled the assisted suicide for September 3.

Paid for by my state tax dollars.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mary,
    my name is Alana and I am working for the York chapter of AI under Kathleen Lucas. I am trying to gather more information about William, would you have any links to the letter he sent Gov. Rendell?


    Sincerely,

    Alana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana, sorry, but I have no links on this topic other than those provided in this post. Perhaps Google could be helpful?

    Good luck,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. *** UPDATE ***
    Good news: I just learned that there has been a stay of execution in this case. More info here.

    ReplyDelete