04 September 2007

Would Tucker have assaulted a woman?

Tucker Carlson's anecdote about beating up a man who had hit on him in a restroom in college is last week's news. But I've been thinking about it, and it's time to share my two cents' worth before putting this topic to rest.

For those of you who may not have heard the story, on the August 28 edition of MSNBC Live, Carlson alleged that he had been hit on in a men's room when he was in high school. When asked how he responded, Carlson said, "I went back with someone I knew and grabbed the guy by the -- you know, and grabbed him, and ... hit him against the stall with his head, actually."

Carlson went on to say that he and his friend then called the police and had the guy arrested. Yep, the cops arrested the man who was assaulted, not the ones who committed the assault. Hmmmmmm....

Does Carlson not realize that people proposition other people all the time, same sex or opposite? I have been hit on by men and by women. When those advances are unwanted, I walk away. It has never occurred to me to resort to violence in these situations.

So does Carlson always beat up the people who hit on him?

If a woman had hit on him, would she have gotten the same treatment? I doubt it. So there's clearly a double standard here.

Is Carlson really so insecure in his masculinity that he needs to attack gays rather than just saying "no, thanks" and walking away?

Ironically, Carlson labels himself a "libertarian". Liberty for all, except for any men who might think Tucker is cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment