03 January 2011

Thank you, Nancy Pelosi

The new Congress starts work this week, with a new Speaker of the House of Representatives - Republican John Boehner.

I want to take this opportunity to thank outgoing Speaker Nancy Pelosi for her four years of fine leadership. She stood firmly for progressive values, tough yet always poised and personable. Unlike her replacement, we rarely saw her cry.

I was thrilled when she was sworn in as the first woman Speaker of the House, but her tenure has amounted to so much more than just that one shattered glass ceiling.

Nancy Pelosi was the strong grandmother protecting her children. And we were all her children.

I have no doubt that she will continue to fight for our best interests in her new role as House Democratic Leader.

In the meantime, I send her my heartfelt gratitude for all she has done so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment