11 February 2007

Are You Afraid Of Shaquille O'Neal?

We've all heard ignorant Americans' stereotypes of Muslims. They're all terrorists. The Koran teaches them to kill all infidels. Et cetera. Ad nauseum.

Never mind the fact that Tim McVeigh was white. He looked like anyone from Kansas or Oklahoma. Without the dark skin, he didn't look scary, I suppose. Or whatever.

A friend recently shared a link to a somewhat old but still very relevant article at Chattanoogan.com that does a great job of exposing the absurdity of anti-Muslim prejudice.

An excerpt:

-----
I am not afraid of terrorism. Maybe it's because I did not live in New York City during 9/11 or maybe it's my corny belief that good always prevails in the end. Whatever the reason I find myself unafraid. Even with the arrests of alleged Al-Qaeda members, rising terror color-codes and wars raging in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I still find myself unafraid. I am not afraid because no one can tell me what I should be looking for in a terrorist. Well, not really. Maybe if U.S. intelligence could tell me specifically what a terrorist sounds like or smells like or eats. From the things I read and see on television I'm guessing most terrorists are of Middle Eastern descent, heavily bearded and absolutely positively they are Muslim. That's it! Look out for intimidating Muslims in places with a lot of innocent American pedestrians. Hey, somebody quick, arrest Shaquille O'Neal!

Shaq daddy is a Muslim – did you know that? You didn't see him and Sacramento Kings' guard Peja Stojakovic kiss each other on each cheek before Western Conference Playoff games a few years back? Did you miss that? Did you think they were French? Those are two really big intimidating Muslims right there! Are they terrorists in training? The media (yes, I am included) uses death, Muslim and terrorism so collectively you would think they were the names of the Three Stooges! Is it fair?

When you look at Shaq in interviews, smiling, giving those incredibly witty sound bites, do you think of terrorism? Now that you know he follows the same religion as the Iraqi insurgents our American troops fight daily, will you look at him differently?

The word terrorism confuses me when it is married to the word Islam. Why are there Muslim extremists and not just Iraqi extremists or extremists (solo)? Is it because the extremists that carry out acts of terror against America hide behind their religion? Isn't it the responsibility of the media (and individuals) to decipher Islam as just a characteristic of the extremists and not extremist as a characteristic of Islam?

Throughout history, the KKK has preached loyalty to Christianity but no one dares to label Christianity as a characteristic of racism. Adolph Hitler was also Christian (and also hid behind the religion) but I don't hear Christianity glued to the phrase Nazism. Sexual abuse by priests has just cost the Catholic Church more than $1 billion in settlements but no one believes that being Catholic makes you more prone to becoming a child molester – and no one should.

So why is Islam automatically related to terrorists? And why do we so easily link the two?

Honestly. Are you aware that the "Muslim" extremists at war with the U.S. only make up a very minute percentage of Muslims worldwide? And when I say minute I'm talking about brothers playing polo minute, horse jockeys slam dunking minute, politicians getting crunk to Lil John minute! The same goes for the small percentage of Catholics who rape children and the very small number of Christian bigots who hide behind big white sheets.

Honestly. When you hear the word Muslim, is your first thought terrorism? Because when I hear Muslim, the first thing that pops in my head is one of my childhood heroes, Muhammad Ali. Ali, who as the Heavyweight Champion of the World decided that he would not fight in the Vietnam War because he could not kill anyone that did him no harm. His assistant trainer Drew Brown took it a step further in 1967 saying, "He's fighting for the respect of his religion. He's not fighting for his country." Ali was stripped of his title and labeled an unpatriotic, out of control, radical Black Muslim. As a kid I learned on my own that Ali was fighting for what he believed in. What's more American than that?
-----
[Read more.]

1 comment:

  1. hey i just feel so sorry for you because you think you know the truth and you have no idea what your talking about lets just say you have been fooled by the media . first do some research and then talk untill them please dont embarrass yourself i am american and also a proud muslim i love this country as much as u do and i am not a terriost

    ReplyDelete