16 February 2007

What if Tim Hardaway were anti-Semitic?

By now, most of you have probably heard former NBA star Tim Hardaway's recent on-air anti-gay rant. It included the following tidbit:
"Well, you know, I hate gay people. I let it be known I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people. I'm homophobic. It shouldn't be in the world, in the United States, I don't like it."
His intensity on the subject really makes me wonder what kinds of personal issues Hardaway must be dealing with.

And, while the media did cover this to some extent, I didn't see nearly enough outrage in response.

Imagine the outraged responses we'd see if Hardaway had said this:
"Well, you know, I hate Jews. I let it be known I don't like Jews. I don't like to be around Jews. I'm anti-Semitic. It shouldn't be in the world, in the United States, I don't like it."
Sadly, homophobia in American society is more "acceptable" than other forms of bigotry.

Why do Americans get so obsessively upset about what other consenting adults might do in the privacy of their own bedrooms?

No comments:

Post a Comment