13 April 2007

Why Imus is not a free speech issue

Imus dominated the media over the past week because of his horrible comment about the Rutgers woman's basketball team.

Many people, myself included, approached the controversy from a free-speech perspective. As offensive as Imus's comment was, doesn't the First Amendment give him the right to say it? We don't have to listen.

But CBS and MSNBC (which at this point have both terminated Imus's show on their networks) were Imus's employers. And I think that an employer has the right to expect employees to represent the company in an acceptable way.

I certainly couldn't walk around my workplace and constantly make offensive comments, and still keep my job.

Apparently, neither can Imus.

And maybe that's a good thing.

Imus can say whatever he wants on his own turf. But not on his employer's dime.

Capitol Hill Blue ran an article about this yesterday that I thought made a lot of sense. Read it: Imus is not a free speech issue

No comments:

Post a Comment