05 May 2008

Why Hillary is so despised

Given the title of this piece, let me start by saying that I do not despise Hillary Clinton. In many ways I admire her.

However, I strongly disapprove of how her present presidential campaign has been run. The Democratic primary contest should be about the issues, and the candidates should save their attacks for the general election instead of undermining each other's own attempts to win the hearts and minds of the American voters. The most important thing is not whether Hillary or Barack wins the nomination. The most important thing is that the Democratic candidate beat John McCain in November. Making each other look bad at this stage of the game just gives the Republicans more talking points to use later in the summer and into the fall. And trust me -- they are taking notes.

That said, I worry about how gender and race have become issues in this campaign. And I recently gained some insight into why Hillary's very existence provokes such strong negative emotions in so many people.

I was reading an interview with crime novelist Sara Paretsky in the March 2008 issue of The Progressive. In the interview, Paretsky made the following observation:
People project on to Hillary because she is a woman. They either hate her for everything they hate about women or they long for her to be everything they want in a woman. It's an impossible burden.
Impossible indeed.

I just wish she would stop provoking further negative feelings via her negative campaign tactics. It helps no one but McCain.

No comments:

Post a Comment