24 August 2010

More nonsense from the pro-death crowd

Yesterday, a suburban Philadelphia newspaper ran my recent column in which I itemized a number of reasons why the death penalty should be abolished. (The piece is available on the newspaper's website here.)

In response, I got an email from a reader who apparently thought I needed some preaching to. I thought his email was worth sharing, just to expose the kinds of nonsense that those of us on the left have to deal with when we exercise our First Amendment rights.

Here is what he wrote:
Our present system is probably not geared towards justice for all. But just know that the death penalty is God's idea. And it requires 2 witnesses. But it is a God thing. God makes the rules. It is our responsibility to keep them. But we know better than God. That's why our world is in such a wonderful state! And then we blame God for our problems. Repent!!!
So God apparently wrote the penal codes for each state in this great secular nation, and our criminal justice system is merely supposed to enforce God's rules.

Never mind the fact that the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states that "Congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion."

And never mind the fact that, as noted in that infamous and wonderful letter to Dr. Laura that has been circulating the Internet for several years now, his same God also expects us to sell our daughters into slavery, kill anyone who works on the Sabbath, and abstain from football and shaving.

While I am always tempted to respond to these people with some logical arguments, I usually don't bother. And I won't bother this time. I can sense that it would be waste of my time.

This guy is obviously not concerned with logic or reason. He addressed none of the actual points I made in my article. He just sits in a mental rut with his biblical talking points. He will recite but not really think. And I refuse to go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment