23 November 2006

The obligatory but heartfelt annual thanks-giving piece

Today is the annual Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S., and this is the obligatory annual commentary about what I am thankful for.

First of all, I am thankful that we still have freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and freedom of the press, so that I can share with you this obligatory annual commentary about what I am thankful for.

This year in particular, I am thankful to the American voters, who woke themselves out of their 5-year coma and took action earlier this month to reinstate some checks and balances in a government that was running amuck.

I am thankful for Nancy Pelosi, who in January will become this country's first female Speaker of the House. Rep. Pelosi will serve as a much better role model for girls than Paris Hilton. Hopefully they will realize that the constant personal attacks on Pelosi from the right are simply because Pelosi's critics are unable to present strong arguments about the real issues.

I am thankful that, when I write to my Senators from now on, a copy will not go to Rick Santorum. I am thankful that Senator-elect Casey might actually read and consider what I have to say.

I am thankful for all the individuals and organizations who have been working around the clock to save this country as it was skidding rapidly towards fascism: Air America Radio; the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU); Sen. Barbara Boxer; Rep. John Conyers; the Center for Constitutional Rights; Sen. Russ Feingold; MoveOn.org; the National Organization for Women (NOW); the National Women's Law Center; Keith Olbermann; People for the American Way; Jon Stewart; the Union of Concerned Scientists; Rep. Henry Waxman; my own group, Amnesty International; and thousands of other people and groups too numerous to mention.

I am thankful for my spectacular team of Philadelphia-area Amnesty International volunteers. While it's my job to serve as their first line of support, they are the ones who do the really hard grass-roots work. They are the ones whose ongoing efforts ease the suffering of so many people around the world.

I am thankful for my loved ones, who care about me despite the fact that I am usually too obsessed with politics and current events, and too busy trying to save the world.

And I am thankful for those who read my endless rantings on a regular basis, and especially those of you who challenge my ideas. You keep me on my toes, and help me grow as a writer and a thinker.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. And may we all have many more things to be thankful for this time next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment