19 December 2008

Mr. Obama, yes you can (kick the nicotine habit)!

Dear Mr. President-elect,

You've come under fire lately for falling off the nicotine-free wagon during your presidential campaign.

I understand what it's like. I started smoking in junior high school. It was the thing to do. In my small redneck Appalachian coal-mining town, teenagers started smoking long before we could legally drink. It was something to do. It seemed cool. And, back then, I was vulnerable to peer pressure.

And it quickly became an addiction.

I am not familiar with the circumstances by which you started smoking. But we have one thing in common: We both grew up to become smoking adults.

But I quit "cold turkey" while I was still in my twenties.

It wasn't easy. I found it especially difficult during stressful times, like in the spring of 1985, when I was working two jobs, going to college at night, studying for two final exams, and leaving my abusive drug-addicted then-husband -- all at the same time, and all while making $4.00 an hour (with no benefits). But I did not smoke. Instead, hard candies managed the oral cravings while adrenaline, tenacity, and willpower handled the rest. It was worth it.

I have no doubt that a presidential campaign is even more stressful than that episode of my life, but that's over now, and you are clearly a much stronger person than I could ever hope to be.

If I could do it, you surely can do it.

After all, you stood up to Hillary Clinton and won.

You stood up to John McCain and the Republican smear machine and won.

So surely you can stand up to the demon nicotine and win.

Besides, think of the message you want to send to your daughters.

Do you want Malia and Sasha to think that it's acceptable to fall off the wagon when the going gets tough? I don't think you do. At least, I hope not.

You're active and athletic. Smoking seems so contrary to that. You must surely see the irony too. Let it be one more reason to quit for good.

My tax dollars pay for what goes on in the White House. And I want it to remain smoke-free.

And I want you healthy.

Respecfully,

Mary Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment