22 March 2010

Health care and the new Obama

Last night, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the health care reform bill that was previously passed by the Senate. It will now go to President Obama's desk, where it will be signed into law. This is the most monumental legislative achievement that I've witnessed in my adult life, and I am thrilled.

Up until a month or two ago, I had all but given up hope on seeing this happen. It seemed that President Obama was more focused on the hopeless tail-chasing exercise of seeking Republican cooperation than with keeping his campaign promise of health care reform. But then suddenly he apparently learned his lesson and grew a spine. Or, rather, he stopped playing the community organizer and started playing the role of majority party leader.

And he -- along with the Democratic leadership in Congress -- played a very big role in last night's victory.

The Obama who made this happen is the Obama I voted for. I hope this is the start of a new trend for Year 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment