31 December 2010

Obama, Vick, and redemption

Some people are criticizing President Obama for calling Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and praising the team for hiring Michael Vick, who had previously been in prison for his involvement in an abusive dog fighting ring.

I am an animal lover, and have been all my life. I am even a vegetarian, because I cannot stand the thought of eating a dead animal. But I have to stand with Obama on this one.

What Vick did to those dogs is horrible, and he deserved the prison sentence he served. But Vick says he realizes now that what he did was wrong.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

After all, doesn't everyone deserve a chance at redemption?

And are those who disagree really so perfect themselves?

1 comment:

  1. Well put! Vick has served his time and I believe he is genuinely apologetic for his actions. Instead of focusing on his mistakes so much, critics should focus on the progress that he has made thus far and encourage him and others like him to act as an example that real change can happen

    ReplyDelete