09 January 2013

My weird Daily News anniversary

Today marks the 7th anniversary of my last paid column for the Philadelphia Daily News, the city's number 2 newspaper. Sadly, the gig ended when the Daily News and its sister publication, the larger Philadelphia Inquirer, were sold for the second or third time in a small number of years.

I have mixed feelings. The Daily News gave me broad exposure for my human rights and social justice advocacy. On the other hand, it wasn't easy to work with my assigned editor, the token right winger on the editorial board. In fact, at times it was hell.

Overall - and with no sour grapes, I swear - I keep telling myself that I'm better off having moved on. And I thank all the editors of the various publications that today keep my work out there in the public eye on a regular basis - where it hopefully will do some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment