10 April 2013

Today would have been Rachel Corrie's 34th birthday

Today, April 10, 2012, would have been Rachel Corrie's 34th birthday. But, sadly, Rachel is not here to blow out the birthday candles on her cake. That's because she was crushed to death in March of 2003 by a US-made Caterpillar D9 military bulldozer in Rafah while acting as a human shield, trying to stop the unlawful demolition of a civilian Palestinian home. She was only 23 years old.

I call myself a human rights activist, but Rachel was much more so. In my work, for the most part, I hide safely behind my keyboard. Rachel, on the other hand, voluntarily placed herself in physical harm's way and paid the ultimate price.

My admiration of Rachel couldn't be greater, nor could my grief at her ultimate demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment