27 February 2006

Canadian waitress with secondhand lung cancer fights for life

I have written in the past about the benefits of smoking bans in the workplace. My main point on this issue is that one person's rights end where the next person's rights begin. Your right to swing your fist ends where my face begins. Your right to smoke cigarettes and pollute your own lungs ends where my own airspace begins.

Now, underscoring my arguments, is the case of Heather Crowe, a Canadian waitress with inoperable lung cancer from secondhand smoke.

Since her diagnosis some years ago, Heather has been campaigning against second-hand smoke. She says, "I want to be the last person to die from second-hand smoke at work." [Read an article about her.]

Now the smokefree grapevine tells me that Heather is "struggling" to keep her pain under control, and may be in her final days. I hope that her efforts to save others from her fate will not be wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment