28 August 2006

That militia is supposed to be regulated, guys

I don't like to comment much on the gun issue. I'm not against guns, per se. While I'm personally not comfortable around them, some of my closest friends own guns for legitimate purposes like self-defense or non-homicidal sport. That is their legal prerogative, and I can live with it.

That said, I think there should be some accountability for the guns sold and collected.

A lot of hard-core NRA types don't seem to believe that they should be held accountable for their gun ownership. They don't believe that there should even be any records of their ownership. To them, what guns they buy, and when and where, is their own personal business -- not that of you, me, or the government.

But imagine that your child was killed by a gun. Wouldn't you want it to be fairly easy to trace the source?

That aside, let's take a look at what the Second Amendment actually says:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

That's it.

See the word "regulated" in there?

And it does not say "the right of people to secretly and unaccountably keep and bear arms..."

No comments:

Post a Comment