16 September 2006

Condi does a good thing - stops transfer of cluster bombs

I don't hesitate to call attention to human rights violations by the powers that be. But, at the same time, I like to give credit where it's due.

This week I received a report from my human rights group, Amnesty International, indicating that U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has complied with Amnesty's request for the U.S. to suspend the transfer of cluster bombs to Israel and to investigate Israel's allegedly illegal use of previously supplied cluster munitions.

Amnesty believes that the use of cluster bombs in civilian populated areas is a violation of human rights, as unexploded "bomblets" from these clusters are notorious for causing civilian casualties. So I am beyond pleased to learn that we're making some progress in this particular case.

For more info about this issue, read Amnesty's info sheet: PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment