19 October 2008

Nuke-you-ler War-shington

We've been hearing George W. Bush talk about nuke-you-ler power for eight years now. If the McCain-Palin ticket wins the White House in November, we'll hear the same thing from the new vice president. With tongue in cheek, I've wondered if it's a Freudian slip -- nuke-you.... But no, I think it's just careless mispronunciation.

Similarly, I cringe whenever I hear John McCain talk about our nation's capital. To him, it's War-shington. I don't know where the "r" comes from, but it's always there for him. And I wonder (also with tongue in cheek) if it, too, is a Freudian slip, since McCain is such a war hawk.

Alas, the candidates who did pass elementary phonics, and practice those lessons, are deemed elitist.

What does this say to our young people?

And what does it say to the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment