23 May 2009

Closing Gitmo: We do need a plan first

Earlier in the week, the Senate refused to allocate funds to close the military prison at Guantanamo Bay. They want to see a plan first.

Some on the far left have criticized the Senate for this delay. But, even as far to the left as I am myself, I can't say that I blame them.

After all, the last time Congress agreed to fund a fuzzy presidential agenda, we ended up attacking and occupying Iraq.

I strongly disagree with the baseless argument that transferring Gitmo detainees to U.S. maximum- and super-maximum-security prisons would present a danger to Americans. Nevertheless, we need a solid exit plan for Guantanamo just from a logistical perspective. And I have no doubt that Obama and his team can provide one soon.

If so, Obama can still meet his January goal for closing down Gitmo. Unless, of course, the obstructionist Republicans get their way. And unless, of course, the Democrats let them.

No comments:

Post a Comment