10 May 2009

On Mother's Day in a war-torn world

Today is Mother's Day in the U.S. -- the second Sunday in May when, each year, we celebrate the mothers in our lives.

And, on this Mother's Day, my heart goes out to the mothers of the world who have lost their children to war.

And, on this Mother's Day, my heart goes out to the mothers of the world who sit by anxiously as their sons and daughters serve as pawns in needless and senseless wars and ethnic conflicts -- mothers in the U.S., Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, and everywhere else in the world where peace is just a pipe dream.

And, on this Mother's Day, I assert that all wars and ethnic conflicts are needless and senseless -- if only all of mankind could just see each other as human beings, as brothers and sisters, with empathy and compassion.

I shall not hold my breath. But I can dream. And I can have hope.

Happy Mother's Day, with hope for a more peaceful and loving future for all in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment