26 November 2009

What I'm thankful for this year

Today, the 4th Thursday in November, is the annual Thanksgiving holiday in the USA. And, while I have much to be frustrated about this year, I also have much to be thankful for.

This year, I am thankful that Barack Obama, not John McCain, occupies the White House. While his work so far this year has been far from ideal, I have no doubt that the alternative would have been much, much worse.

I am thankful that Congress recently passed the Matthew Shepard Act. It's one step forward for respect and human dignity, although we still have a long way to go to achieve full rights for our LGBT sisters and brothers.

I am cautiously thankful that the same Congress and has gotten farther than ever in promoting the possibility of real health care reform. I hope the final bill will be better than the current House or Senate versions. But, even if not, it will hopefully be better than the status quo.

I am thankful to my readers for following my work and for always keeping me on my toes.

And, above all, I am thankful for my small circle of very close friends, who comprise my surrogate family. As an orphan with no siblings and no known blood relatives, these amazing people are always there for me when I need them, even though we otherwise don't get together as often as we should. Thanks, you guys. You know who you are, and you're the best. I don't know what I would do without you.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and here's hoping that we will all have even more good things to be thankful for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment