10 July 2005

American idiot

As I write this, the song "American Idiot" by Green Day is running through my head. [Read lyrics.]

What prompted this stuck tune was a conversation I had with a woman just hours after the recent terrorist bombings in London. She told me that we should just nuke the entire Arab region, because "it's just a bunch of terrorists over there."

I thought that this might be a good opportunity to educate her a bit. So I asked, "What about the babies? Surely the innocent babies that we have killed and maimed in the Iraq war didn't deserve to die or have their limbs blown off?"

She responded with her mantra, "It's just a bunch of terrorists over there."

Allow me to prove her wrong: [Click here.] OK, so now let's get back my conversation after the London bombings.

She went on and on about how Muslims are all so evil, despite my attempts to explain that terrorist bombings don't reflect the philosophy of the majority of Muslims, just a radical minority. I tried to draw an analogy with radical Christian fanatics who bomb abortion clinics, but that point was lost. To her, all Muslims have but one purpose in life: To kill the infidels.

For those of you with a more open mind, I present statements from various Muslim organizations condemning the attacks: [Read statements.]

No comments:

Post a Comment