08 July 2005

The London bombings

As I write this, I am still experiencing a broad range of emotions regarding yesterday's terrorist bombings in London.

I am still a bit in shock, because one is never prepared for this kind of tragedy.

I am sad for those who were killed or injured in the bombings, and my heart goes out to their families.

I am relieved to have learned that all of my friends and colleagues in the London area are safe.

And I am angry, because the Bush administration's post-9/11 policies (supported by Bush's lap poodle Tony Blair) have fueled even more hatred of America (and, by extension, the UK) on the part of Islamic militants, making us all more vulnerable to these kinds of attacks. The war in Iraq has been successful only as a recruiting tool for al-Qaeda.

We invaded Iraq - a country that had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks and posed no threat to the US or the UK. We bombed it to bits and killed thousands of innocent civilian children, women, and men. We tortured our prisoners. Excuse me, but of course they're going to want to kill us!

"Bring 'em on," said Bush. So they did. Be careful what you wish for, Mr. President.

For a more in-depth account of all the reasons why we remain at risk of terrorist attacks, click here. Warning: Extremely graphic photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment