16 October 2009

Lieberman to champion DADT repeal?

Senator Joe Lieberman is certainly not one of my favorite politicians. He and I do not see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues, plus he just rubs me the wrong way, so to speak. But if there is a chance that he will use his power and influence to support a good cause, then I have to hold my nose and support him in those particular efforts, rare though they might be.

And this may be one of those rare occasions.

Apparently the White House has been talking with Lieberman about strategies for repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT). Lieberman sits on the Senate Armed Services Committee and has always opposed DADT. He also has some friends -- and influence -- on the Republican side of the aisle. So, all things considered, he seems like a logical choice to help champion that effort in the Senate, despite the fact that he is Joe Lieberman.

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) is already taking an active role in the effort, and Senator Carl Levin (D-MI), chair of the Armed Services Committee, also supports repeal. But it's going to take a lot of hard work to make it happen.

Politics makes strange bedfellows, as the saying goes. I wish Lieberman and his colleagues the best of luck in this effort, and I will support them in every way I can to get a repeal of DADT passed through the Senate. (I expect that it will easily pass in the House, but I'll be working on that as well.)

But I still don't like Lieberman. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment