13 October 2009

Limbaugh should stay out of football

I am not a sports fan, but I am a huge fan of basic human dignity. And so I address a sports-related issue that crosses into my comfort zone -- or, rather, my discomfort zone.

The media are reporting that right-wing windbag Rush Limbaugh might purchase the St. Louis Rams football team.

This, needless to say, has a lot of NFL players up in arms. After all, many of the players are black, and Limbaugh has made it clear, time and time again, that he is racist.

Perhaps Limbaugh's most infamous foot-swallowing episode involved his all-too-candid, racially charged tirade some years ago against Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb:
"Sorry to say this, I don't think [Donovan McNabb]'s been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."
Regardless of McNabb's skill set (which, from what I hear is much more considerable than Rush would suggest), Limbaugh's comment was decidedly racist.

And consider some of Limbaugh's other racist remarks over the past few years:
"Why should blacks be heard? They're 12% of the population.
Who the hell cares?"
and
"Take that bone out of your nose and call me back."
Imagine being an African-American football player, and suddenly this person owns your team. Suddenly this person owns your career.

For the sake of the players, I hope that any plans that Limbaugh has for buying that football team will fall flat. If not, we may just see the first all-white NFL team in decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment