27 August 2005

The Walter Reed strawman

As I've written in the past, I'm not happy about the Pentagon's decision to close a lot of the military bases around the U.S. The move will leave many people unemployed and lots of small business in dire straits in towns where bases will close. [Read story.]

But some opponents are attacking the Pentagon's strategy by pointing to the closing of Walter Reed Army Hospital as evidence that the Pentagon and the Bush administration don't support our troops.

I could (and probably someday will) write a whole essay illustrating how the Bush administration does not adequately support our troops. But I don't think the Walter Reed thing is an issue here.

You see, it's not closing, it's just moving. It will be merged with the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD, to create an expanded, and more modern, facility. [Read more.]

Or am I missing something here?

No comments:

Post a Comment